11 Essential EDM Technologies
While some may argue that all synths are fair game for dance music production, it’s clear that many instruments are closely tied to specific genres.
Cases in point:
- The 303’s relationship to acid house.
- The 808’s influence on trap and hip-hop
- The M1 Piano and Organ's role in the sound of classic house
- The Alpha Juno’s “Hoover” preset and the 90s rave scene
- The JD-8000’s introduction of the supersaw
Of course, it’s obvious that these synths and drum machines have far more range than the niches they’ve found, but it’s still relevant to associate specific synths and groove boxes with certain genres – especially for producers who are pursuing "street cred" in their tracks.
Electronic Musician's October 2017 cover story takes a close look at the current synth and software landscape, with some insights into the products that have been embraced by specific communities.